The Mawson’s Huts Replica Museum is Hobart’s newest tourist attraction. It opened in December 2013 which was the 102nd anniversary of the departure from Hobart of the Australasian Antarctic expedition 1911-14 which Douglas Mawson led.
Constructed by heritage carpenters using Baltic pine from the same Scandinavian sawmill that supplied timber to Mawson’s expedition, the huts on Hobart’s waterfront are faithful replicas of the buildings that remain at Cape Denison.
International Polar Heritage Committee
President - Julian Bickersteth, International Conservation Services