IPHC 2017 CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
The next ICOMOS IPHC Conference will be held in Christchurch, New Zealand, now proposed for October 2nd & 3rd 2017 to coincide with the planned National Programmes Antarctic season opening weekend in Christchurch on September 30th & October 1st 2017.
The IPHC 2017 Conference theme is Polar heritage and the ships behind it: management and protection.
Getting to and from polar regions has been a constant issue for all polar expeditions, and the ships that made this happen are a key component of polar heritage.
The IPHC 2017 conference will explore the many aspects that arise in the management and protection of these vessels including:
- Historic shipwrecks in polar regions both on land or underwater
- Polar ships that survive as museum displays
- Ownership of polar wrecks and remnants
- Relocation of polar wrecks and remnants
- Use of modern polar ships to access polar heritage sites
- Indigenous use of ship-wreck materials, indigenous input relating to wreck history, and indigenous/non-indigenous interactions related to polar ships and crews
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police ship patrols and their influence on indigenous groups in arctic Canada
- World War II ships, and the history of polar convoys
- Law issues and the protection of underwater heritage
Thank you to those members who have submitted abstracts for the deadline of 28 February. We have extended the abstract deadline to 24 March 2017. If you or your colleagues have been considering whether to submit an abstract, then we encourage you to submit.
The IPHC 2017 Conference Organising Committee invites submissions of papers that address this theme. Please submit a 300-word abstract and title by 24 March 2017, together with the name(s) of the author and email address to Karen Clarke firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions or would like to discuss an idea for a paper, please contact one of the following: IPHC President Julian Bickersteth email@example.com, IPHC Vice President Susan Barr firstname.lastname@example.org, IPHC Secretary General Nigel Watson email@example.com