New Zealand Prime Minister Rt Hon John Key launched the Antarctic Heritage Trust’s Conservation Plan for Hillary’s Hut, in front of more than 125 Antarcticans at Parliament on 17 March 2015.
Sir Edmund Hillary’s Hut, ‘Hut A’, forms part of New Zealand’s first scientific facility at Scott Base. It is the original remaining building established with the support of the New Zealand Government for the country’s involvement in the Trans-Antarctic Expedition 1955-58 and International Geophysical Year 1957-58. It is designated as a Historic Monument under the Antarctic Treaty in recognition of its importance in the history of exploration and science in Antarctica.
In 2012 the Antarctic Heritage Trust signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Antarctica New Zealand to manage the conservation work, including all fundraising for the site. Work will commence in the Antarctic summer of 2016-17 subject to the Trust securing funds.
International Polar Heritage Committee
President - Julian Bickersteth, International Conservation Services