Skip navigation


go back to the home page

USE THESE LINKS FOR OTHER SITE NUMBERS: 1- 19 /  40-59  /  60-84

 

20 Cross on Observation Hill, Ross Island. 77°51'S, 166°41'E. Cross erected in January 1913 by the British Antarctic Expedition of 1910-13 in memory of Captain Robert F. Scott’s party which perished on the return journey from the South Pole in March 1912.

21 Hut at Cape Crozier, Ross Island. 77°31'S, 169°22'E. Remains of stone hut constructed in July 1911 by Edward Wilson’s party of the British Antarctic Expedition (1910-13) during the winter journey to collect emperor penguin eggs.

22 Three huts and associated relics at Cape Adare.  71°18'S, 170°12'E. Two huts were built in February 1899 during the British Antarctic (Southern Cross) Expedition, 1898-1900, led by Carsten E. Borchgrevink. The third was built in February 1911 by Robert F. Scott’s Northern Party, led by Victor L.A.Campbell.  Scott’s Northern Party hut has largely collapsed with only the porch standing in 2002.   Site incorporated within ASPA 159.

23 Grave at Cape Adare. 71°17'S, 170°13'E. Grave of Norwegian biologist Nicolai Hanson, a member of the Southern Cross Expedition, 1898-1900, led by Carsten E. Borchgrevink. A large boulder marks the head of the grave with the grave itself outlined in white quartz stones.  A cross and plaque are attached to the boulder.

 

24 Rock cairn at Mount Betty, Queen Maud Range. 85°11'S, 163°47'W. Rock cairn, known as ‘Amundsen’s cairn', on Mount Betty, erected by Roald Amundsen on 6 January 1912 on his way back to ‘Framheim’ from the South Pole.

 

25  DELISTED 2003 – NO LONGER EXISTS.  (Hut and plaque at Framnësodden, Peter I Øy.

26 Installations at Barry Island, Debenham Islands, Marguerite Bay, Antarctic Peninsula. 68°07'S, 67°06'W. Abandoned installations of San Martin Station (Argentina), with cross, flag mast, and monolith built in 1951.

27 Cairn with plaque at Megalestris Hill, Petermann Island, Antarctic Peninsula. 65°10'S, 64°09'W. Cairn with a replica of a lead plaque erected on Megalestris Hill, Petermann Island, in 1909 by the second French expedition led by Jean-Baptiste E. A. Charcot. The original plaque is in the reserves of the Museum National d’Histoire Naturelle (Paris).

 

28 Cairn, pillar and plaque at Port Charcot, Booth Island, Antarctic Peninsula. 65°03'S, 64°02'W.  Rock cairn at Port Charcot, Booth Island, with wooden pillar and plaque inscribed with the names of the first French expedition led by Jean-Baptiste E. A. Charcot which wintered here in 1904 aboard Le Français.

 

29 Lighthouse on Lambda Island, Melchior Islands, Antarctic Peninsula. 64°18'S, 62°58'W. Lighthouse named Primero de Mayo erected by Argentina in 1942. This was the first Argentine lighthouse in the Antarctic.

 

30 Shelter at Paradise Harbour, Danco Coast, Antarctic Peninsula 64°49'S, 62°51'W.  Shelter at Paradise Harbour erected in 1950 near the Chilean Base ‘Gabriel Gonzalez Videla’ to honour Gabriel Gonzalez Videla, the first Head of State to visit the Antarctic. The shelter is a representative example of pre-IGY activity and constitutes an important national commemoration.

31  DELISTED 2003 – NO LONGER EXISTS. (Plaque at Whalers Bay, Deception Island, South Shetland Islands)

32 Monolith on Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands. 62°28'S, 59°40'W.  Concrete monolith erected in 1947, near Capitán Arturo Prat Base on Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands. Point of reference for Chilean Antarctic hydrographic surveys. The monolith is representative of an important pre-IGY activity and is currently preserved and maintained by personnel from Prat Base.

33 Shelter, cross and plaque on Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands. 62°29'S, 59°40'W.  Shelter and cross with plaque near Capitán Arturo Prat Base (Chile), Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands. Named in memory of Lieutenant-Commander González Pacheco, who died in 1960 while in charge of the station. The monument commemorates events related to a person whose role and the circumstances of his death have a symbolic value and the potential to educate people about significant human activities in Antarctica.

34 Bust on Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands. 62°30'S, 59°41'W. Bust at Capitán Arturo Prat Base (Chile), Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands, of the Chilean naval hero Arturo Prat, erected in 1947. The monument is representative of pre-IGY activities and has symbolic value in the context of Chilean presence in Antarctica.

35 Cross and statue on Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands. 62°29'S, 59°40'W.  Wooden cross and statue of the Virgin of Carmen erected in 1947 near Capitán Arturo Prat Base (Chile), Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands. The monument is representative of pre-IGY activities and has a particularly symbolic and architectural value.

36 Plaque at Potter Cove, King George Island, South Shetland Islands. 62°14'S, 58°39'W.  Replica of a metal plaque erected by Eduard Dallmann at Potter Cove, King George Island, to commemorate the visit of his German expedition on 1 March, 1874 on board Grönland.

37 Statue at Trinity Peninsula, Antarctic Peninsula. 63°19'S, 57°54'W.  Statue erected in 1948 at General Bernardo O’Higgins Base (Chile), Trinity Peninsula, of Bernardo O’Higgins, the first ruler of Chile to envisage the importance of Antarctica. This monument is representative of pre-IGY activities in Antarctica and has a symbolic meaning in the history of Antarctic exploration since it was during O’Higgins’ government that the vessel Dragon landed on the coast of the Antarctic Peninsula in 1820.

38 Hut on Snow Hill Island, Antarctic Peninsula. 64°22'S, 56°59'W.  Wooden hut on Snow Hill Island built in February 1902 by the main party of the Swedish South Polar Expedition led by Otto Nordenskjöld.

39 Hut at Hope Bay, Trinity Peninsula, Antarctic Peninsula. 63°24'S, 56°59'W.  Stone hut at Hope Bay, Trinity Peninsula, built in January 1903 by a party of the Swedish South Polar Expedition.

 

SITE NUMBERS: 1- 19 /  40-59  /  60-84

International Polar Heritage Committee
President - Julian Bickersteth, International Conservation Services
53 Victoria Ave, Chatswood, Sydney, NSW 2067
Australia
Phone: +61 (02) 9417 3311

Home |  Print this page  |  Send this page  |  Site Map |  Privacy |  Top

2017 © International Polar Heritage Committee