Skip navigation


go back to the home page

USE THESE LINKS FOR OTHER SITE NUMBERS: 1-19 /  20-39 /  40-59 

 

60 Plaque and cairn at ‘Penguins Bay', Seymour Island, James Ross Island archipelago 64°16'S, 50°39'W. Commemorating the location at which the Argentine Corvette Uruguay gave assistance to the Swedish Antarctic Expedition led by Otto Nordenskjöld on 10 November 1903.

61 ‘Base A’ at Port Lockroy, Goudier Island, off Wiencke Island, Antarctic Peninsula. 64°49'S, 63°29'W.  Of historic importance as an Operation Tabarin base from 1944 and for scientific research, including the first measurements of the ionosphere, and the first recording of an atmospheric whistler, from Antarctica. Port Lockroy was a key monitoring site during the International Geophysical Year of 1957/58

62 ‘Base F (Wordie House)' on Winter Island, Argentine Islands. 65°15'S, 64°16'W.  Of historic importance as an example of an early British scientific base.

63 ‘Base Y’ on Horseshoe Island, Marguerite Bay, western Graham Land. 67°48'S, 67°18'W.  Noteworthy as a relatively unaltered and completely equipped British scientific base of the late 1950s. ‘Blaiklock’, the refuge hut nearby, is considered an integral part of the base.

64 ‘Base E’ on Stonington Island, Marguerite Bay, western Graham Land. 68°11'S, 67°00'W.  Of historical importance in the early period of exploration and later British Antarctic Survey (BAS) history of the 1960s and 1970s.

65 Message post on Foyn Island, Possession Islands. 71°56'S, 171°05'E.  A pole with a box attached was placed on the island on 16 January 1895 during the whaling expedition of Henryk Bull and Captain Leonard Kristensen of the ship Antarctic.  It was examined and found intact by the British Antarctic Expedition of 1898-1900 and then sighted from the beach by the USS Edisto in 1956 and USCGS Glacier in 1965.

66 Cairn at Scott Nunataks, Alexandra Mountains, Edward VII Peninsula. 77°11'S, 154°32'W.  The small rock cairn was erected at the foot of the main bluff on the north side of the nunataks by Lieutenant K. Prestrud on 3 December 1911 during the Norwegian Antarctic Expedition of 1910-1912.

67 Rock shelter ‘Granite House’ at Cape Geology, Granite Harbour. 77°00'S, 162°32'E.  This shelter was constructed in 1911 for use as a field kitchen by Griffith Taylor’s second geological excursion during the British Antarctic Expedition of 1910-1913. It was enclosed on three sides with granite boulder walls and used a sledge to support a seal-skin roof. The stone walls of the shelter have partially collapsed. The shelter contains corroded remnants of tins, a seal skin and some cord. The sledge is now located 50 m seaward of the shelter and consists of a few scattered pieces of wood, straps and buckles.

68 Depot at Hells Gate Moraine, Inexpressible Island, Terra Nova Bay. 74°52'S, 163°50'E.  This emergency depot consisted of a sledge loaded with supplies and equipment which was placed on 25 January 1913 by the British Antarctic Expedition, 1910-1913. The sledge and supplies were removed in 1994 in order to stabilize their deteriorating condition.

69 Message post at Cape Crozier, Ross Island. 77°27'S, 169°16'E.  Erected on 22 January 1902 by Captain Robert F. Scott’s Discovery Expedition of 1901-04. It was to provide information for the expedition’s relief ships, and held a metal message cylinder, which has since been removed.

70 Message post at Cape Wadworth, Coulman Island. 73°19'S, 169°47'E.  A metal cylinder nailed to a red pole 8 m above sea level placed by Captain Robert F. Scott on 15 January 1902. He painted the rocks behind the post red and white to make it more conspicuous.

71 Whaling station at Whalers Bay, Deception Island. 62°59'S, 60°33'W.  The site comprises all pre-1970 remains on the shore of Whalers Bay, including those from the early whaling period (1906-12) initiated by Captain Adolfus Andresen of the Sociedad Ballenera de Magallanes, Chile; the remains of the Norwegian Hektor Whaling Station established in 1912 and all artefacts associated with its operation until 1931; the site of a cemetery with 35 burials and a memorial to ten men lost at sea; and the remains from the period of British scientific and mapping activity (1944-1969). The site also acknowledges and commemorates the historic value of other events that occurred there, from which nothing remains.

72 Cairn on Tryne Islands, Vestfold Hills. 68°22'S 78°24'E. A rock cairn and a wooden mast erected by the landing party of the Norwegian Antarctic Expedition, 1934-1935, led by Captain Klarius Mikkelsen of the Norwegian whaling ship Thorshavn and including Caroline Mikkelsen, the first woman to set foot on East Antarctica.

 

73 Memorial Cross, Lewis Bay, Ross Island. 77°25'30S, 166°27'30E. A stainless steel cross erected in January 1987 on a rocky promontory 3 km from the Mount Erebus crash site in memory of the 257 people of different nationalities who lost their lives when the aircraft in which they were travelling crashed into the lower slopes of Mount Erebus, Ross Island. The cross was erected as a mark of respect and in remembrance of those who died in the tragedy.  This site subsequently redesignated as SPA No. 26

74 Elephant Island, South Shetland Islands. 61°10'S, 55°24W to 61°17'S, 55°13'W. Wreckage of a wooden vessel on the beach of the bay between these two points on the western side of the island.

75 ‘A Hut’, Pram Point, Ross Island. 77°51'S, 166°45'E. The first New Zealand building erected in Antarctica. Erected in 1956.

76 Ruins of ‘Pedro Aguirre Cerda’ station, Pendulum Cove, Deception Island.  62°56'S, 60°36'W. The ruins of a station, erected in 1955, destroyed by volcanic eruptions in 1967 and 1969.

77 Cape Denison, Commonwealth Bay, George V Land.  67°00'30"S, 142°39"40"E.   This includes the Boat Harbour and historic artefacts contained within its waters. The site incorporated within ASMA No. XXX.  Part of this site is also designated as ASPA No. 160.

78 Memorial plaque at India Point, Humboldt Mountains, Wohlthat Massif, central Dronning Maud Land. 71º45'08"S, 11º12'30”.  Erected in memory of three scientists of the Geological Survey of India (GSI) and a communication technician from the Indian Navy - all members of the ninth Indian Expedition to Antarctica, who sacrificed their lives in this mountain camp in an accident on 8th January 1990.

79 Lillie Marleen Hut, Mt. Dockery, Everett Range, Northern Victoria Land. 71º12'S, 164º31'E. This hut was erected to support the work of the German Antarctic Northern Victoria Land Expedition (GANOVEX I) of 1979/1980. The hut, a bivouac container made of prefabricated fiberglass units insulated with polyurethane foam, was named after the Lillie Glacier and the song “Lillie Marleen". The hut is closely associated with the dramatic sinking of the expedition ship “Gotland II” during GANOVEX II in December 1981.

80 Amundsen’s Tent. The tent was erected at 90º by the Norwegian group of explorers led by Roald Amundsen on their arrival at the South Pole on 14 December 1911. The tent is currently buried underneath the snow and ice in the vicinity of the South Pole.

81 Rocher du Débarquement (Landing Rock).  66° 36.30'S, 140° 03.85'E.  A small island where Admiral Dumont D’Urville and his crew landed on 21 January 1840 when he discovered Terre Adélie

82 Monument to the Antarctic Treaty and Plaque.  62º 12' 01" S; 58º 57' 41" W.  The monument is located close to the Frei, Bellingshausen and Escudero Bases at Fildes Peninsula, King George Island, South Shetland Islands. The plaque at the foot of the monument commemorates the Signatories to the Antarctic Treaty and successive International Polar Years (1882-1883, 1932-1933 and 2007-2008)

83 Base “W”, Detaille Island, Lallemand Fjord, Loubet Coast. 66°52’S, 66°38’W.  Base “W” is situated on a narrow isthmus at the northern end of Detaille Island, Lallemand Fjord, Loubet Coast. The site consists of a hut and a range of associated structures and outbuildings including a small emergency storage building, bitch and pup pens, anemometer tower and two standard tubular steel radio masts (one to the south west of the main hut and the other to the east). Base “W” was established in 1956 as a British science base primarily for survey, geology and meteorology and to contribute to the IGY in 1957. As a relatively unaltered base from the late 1950s, Base “W” provides an important reminder of the science and living conditions that existed when the Antarctic Treaty was first signed.

84 Hut at Damoy Point, Dorian Bay, Wiencke Island, Palmer Archipelago. 64° 49’S, 63°31’W.  The site consists of a well-preserved hut and the scientific equipment and other artefacts inside it. It is located at Damoy Point on Dorian Bay, Wiencke Island, Palmer Archipelago. The hut was erected in 1973 and used for a number of years as a British summer air facility and transit station for scientific personnel. It was last occupied in 1993.

 

SITE NUMBERS: 1-19 /  20-39 /  40-59 

International Polar Heritage Committee
President - Julian Bickersteth, International Conservation Services
53 Victoria Ave, Chatswood, Sydney, NSW 2067
Australia
Phone: +61 (02) 9417 3311

Home |  Print this page  |  Send this page  |  Site Map |  Privacy |  Top

2017 © International Polar Heritage Committee